Search Process Toolkit
Recruiting and hiring individuals to work at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, is one of our most important cooperative responsibilities. This toolkit is designed to provide resources to guide you through the various stages of the search process, to ensure the university is recruiting talent and making hiring decisions, in a fair and equitable way.
Develop Job Description
Train the Search Team
Hiring managers and search committee members are required to complete DiversityEdu every three years.
Understand and Mitigate Bias
To learn more about implicit biases and ways to reduce bias, please visit the following.
- Project Implicit (Harvard)
- 8 Ways for a Search Committee to Be Inclusive (The Chronicle)
- How a Search Committee Can Be the Arbiter of Diversity (The Chronicle)
- 10 Myths and Facts About Hiring People with Disabilities (Work to Include)
- 16 Unconscious Bias Examples and How to Avoid Them in the Workplace (Built In)
Review Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC) Resources
To set up an account with HERC please go to their login page and click on Register here. Once an account has been established members can access many resources, including a Faculty Search Committee Training Toolkit which has short films about The Committee, The Recruitment Plan, Reviewing the Applicants, as well as Campus Visits and In-Person Interviewing.
Additional Educational Resources
Develop a Recruitment Plan
- Custom Applicant Source Code Job Aid
- HERC – Diversity Recruitment Toolkit: Strategies for Targeted Populations (Member Login Required)
- Recruiting Diverse and Excellent New Faculty (Inside Higher Ed)
- Wanted: Disabled Faculty Members (Inside Higher Ed)
- Targeting Veterans for Hire (Circa)
- 5 Pros and Cons of Recruiting with Social Media (Berkshire Associates)
- Gender in the Job Interview (The Chronicle)
Develop Interview Questions
- Asking the Right Questions: Crafting Inclusive Interviews (HERC Webinar)
- Diversity-Related Interview Questions
- Pre-Employment Inquiries – Topics to Avoid
Share Benefits Information with Finalists