COVID-19 Accommodations and Resources

The Accessibility & Accommodations Division continues to provide support for our campus community for COVID-19 related accommodations for employees with underlying medical conditions and disabilities which place them at high risk of severe illness from COVID-19. While not inclusive of all medical conditions that may require reasonable accommodations related to COVID-19, the Division utilizes current CDC guidance in the determination of disability related to COVID-19 and the potential severity of the complications.

Employees with an underlying medical condition or disability which places them at an increased risk of severe illness due to COVID-19 may request a reasonable accommodation using the Reasonable Accommodations Portal.

Medical and religious exemptions from COVID-19 vaccination requirements

Employees including new hires to the university can request COVID-19 vaccination exemptions based on medical or religious reasons. Employees and applicants can submit their requests through the Reasonable Accommodations Portal.

Curbside COVID-19 nasal testing accommodations

Employees who are unable to utilize testing at the various walk-up locations, including individuals who may be immunocompromised and those with mobility conditions, may request a Curbside COVID-19 nasal testing accommodation through the Reasonable Accommodations Portal. 

COVID-19 nasal test alternative

As of Spring 2022, all employees and students who are unable to utilize the university’s saliva-based COVID-19 testing service for medical or religious reasons, and need to request a nasal swab test, should contact McKinley Health Center to request alternative testing site and appointment availability information by calling 217-333-2700. It is not necessary to utilize the Reasonable Accommodations Portal.

Where can I find guidance related to current campus COVID-19 vaccination exemption, face covering requirements, and testing locations?

I am a faculty member and I am deaf/hard of hearing, and I would like to encourage individuals wearing face coverings in my class to use clear face coverings (SMILE masks) so that I can see their lips when they are talking. Where can I get these face coverings?

Please email and the Accessibility & Accommodations Division will facilitate the delivery of face coverings to meet your classroom needs.

I am a graduate Teaching Assistant with an underlying medical condition that places me at an increased risk of severe illness due to COVID-19. I want to continue teaching my lecture class online, but my unit has stated that all teaching is to resume in person- instruction. What can I do?

Please request a reasonable accommodation through the Division. Our Accessibility Specialists can review the details of your teaching requirements and work with your unit to determine if remote teaching will allow you to continue to perform the essential functions of your position. It is important to keep in mind that one type of reasonable accommodation under the ADA is the ability to make adjustments or modifications to the general policies of an employer.